GUESS WHAT DAY IT IS
I dare you
ok fine, I’ll tell you.
TODAY IS NATIONAL DO[UGH]NUT DAY!
The first Friday of June in the United States is National Donut Day. Really, no matter how you choose to spell it, donut or doughnut, its a good frikin day. And best part is, companies participate by GIVING AWAY DOUGHNUTS FOR FREE.
Before celebrating the best national holiday in America, we shall begin with a brief history lesson.
National Do[ugh]nut Day was created by the Salvation Army in June 1938, to honor those who served donuts to soldiers during World War I, according to Wikipedia. Do with that info what you will, friends.
Since then, people have been celebrating the greatest round snack to ever come out of an American factory (kinda celebrating.) It was recently that the holiday really gained its sugar-coated wings when doughnut shops all over the country began celebrating with freebees or discounts on the holey mass of fried dough.
After a little research (not too much on my part because people love doughnut day and there are, like, a million articles about it) I found some extremely delicious info.
USA Today has some great info graphic stats up on their website which I couldn’t help but devour (lol get it? play on words because you devour doughnuts? its funny, aright.) My favorite, being the lover of words that I am, is below, along with some other super important facts.
ok ouch. but really, who cares? donuts are delicious. Well worth the calories!
So, without further adieu, here are some places offering up that circular piece of heaven for free (or almost free, both are pretty good, if you ask me.)
- Dunkin Donuts: The good ol’ orange and pink is offering up a donut of the customer’s choice (while supplies last of course) with the purchase of any beverage. SO morning coffee + free donut = HAPPY CAMPER. Fun Fact: Dunkin is actually offering this world wide, so everyone can love today!
- Krispy Kreme: (See adorable doughnut image below taken from their website) KK is offering a free doughnut. Literally completely free. No purchase necessary. Go Double K. Participating countries include America (duh), Canada, Australia, Korea, Japan, Indonesia, Malaysia, Mexico, Puerto Rico, Philippines, and Turkey.
- Tim Hortons: Tim is offering a free doughnut with any purchase, but to get it, you need to show or print this coupon that’s posted on their Facebook.
- Doughnut Plant (NYC): Everyone gets a free Carnival Sprinkles mini-cake doughnut with whatever you purchase, because who doesn’t love sprinkles???
- Entenmann‘s: The classic doughnut box, the doughnuts my dad still brings home weekly, THE DONUTS I GREW THE HECK UP ON, Entenmann‘s is holding a contest. 100 Grand Prize Winners can win a free year supply of Entenmann’s donuts. It don’t get much betta than that my friends. There will also be weekly winners who can win coupons and plush toys. You can bet your butt I will be entering.
- LaMar’s Donuts: LaMar’s teamed up with the Salvation Army to “take a bite out of hunger.” SA will be providing millions of meals for hungry kids this summer, and LaMar’s wants you to help. Check out their website and donate! No child deserves to go to bed hungry.
There are also a bunch of local places that are joining in the merriment. Check out shops in your neighborhood and see what you find! If there are any that you love that I missed, let me know! I would love to add more.
PS. Best deal yet:
Thanks to Thrillist, I learned that Jiffy Lube (yea man, the car place) is celebrating National Doughnut Day and National Tire Safety Month (which happens to be June) by offering complimentary air pressure checks for your tires. While they’re checking your tire pressure, you can also check out some free donuts at their service centers! Technically this isn’t nation wide, and is only being offered in locations in Houston, Philadelphia and Florence, South Carolina. But I really needed to add it to my list because YEA JIFFY LUBE.
So everyone go out and enjoy your little fried dough frisbees. Can’t wait to hear about everyone’a National Donut Day!